Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Vietnam.....day 2

        Today we started early and left Hanoi; destination Ha Long Bay. It's name means "Descending Dragon Bay" and it as all things Vietnamese has a fable to along with it. A dragon was sent from heaven to help defeat the Chinese invaders. It has some 2000 islands which in reality took 500 million years to form. The drive was just over two hours and we stopped at one of a few shops run by the handicapped. In it people with all sorts of impairments from mental to blind; create truly remarkable works of art. There are products ranging from paintings and jewelry, to clothes and amazing carvings;all hand made on site.





             Along the way we finally escaped the city; its noise and clutter; and started to see the beauty of the countryside. The people are hard working and sadly poor. Our tour guide, Thien is a wealth of knowledge and the facts he shares are simply shocking. He says the Vietnamese are a happy people; and from a Western point of view I find it hard to believe. He explains that our values are just very different.







            The thing that makes me the saddest about this country is that I really believe they are trying to better it; but it just seems like it is a long road; maybe to long. I also wish that my father's generation could have experienced this for what it is, rich in culture and beauty; but never had a chance to. I think there are places like that now; for my generation; and this too is sad. There is so much in the world; and rather than sharing it with each other; we just build fences and walls; physical and social. Vietnam is not at war in this century and they are relieved, after over 1000 years of constant invasions. They are trying and that gives me hope....

                   Now off of the somber and on to the beauty of which I am writing. We boarded a ship; known as a "junk"; I really had no preconceptions of what kind of boat it was to be. I was pleasantly surprised....




           We headed out into Ha Long Bay, it was cool and quiet; peaceful and surreal.... Words can not describe the majestic beauty here; and pictures just scratch the surface. Here are some to give you a taste of this place; which I really think is the most breathtaking piece of nature I have ever been fortunate enough to see. Whatever your personal beliefs may be; this has place has been touched by a higher being than man. It is a small piece of heaven, set here amongst us; and I hope everyone I know gets to experience it's splendor one day...until that day comes...enjoy..........














               I took over 300 pictures and video here. I just couldn't get enough. He got off our ship and took a smaller boat to a floating village. These people are a fishing community and live here year round. They also paddle tourist around...well the women do. I was taken back a bit at the fact they had everything here. Kids at play, men playing cards, TV, or videos maybe....and the one thing I found oddest; were dogs...lots of them.  We took a tour of the village, the school, and then paddled around some more. The view was even more surreal from the water.







                   The next morning we explored a cave and then headed back to port. The cave was amazing....bigger than I ever imagined a cave could be. Thien explained that you should look at the formations and imagine what they look like; like clouds. It was fun, but unlike any cave I have ever seen he was carved by the ocean high up on the mountain. Strange and once again wonderful....









            And I will close this with no more words, just some amazing views, and memories I want to share; as they are forever ingrained in my mind, my soul, and my heart..............(and the sun...well it's sunrise the next morning...how can you have a bad day when it starts like this?..oh and I was doing Thai Chi on the top deck of the boat....)














No comments:

Post a Comment