Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Back in the world....

       I arrived last night and returned all of my gear. It was late, dark (again), and overwhelming to say the least. I can count my blessings that I was in New Zealand rather than say LA or NY. Not that the US doesn't have a certain je ne sais quoi, but New Zealanders are somewhat less in your face and very helpful. I truly can't save enough about the kindness of New Zealanders as a whole. I highly recommend a visit if you ever have the chance.
       So back to the matter at hand, reentry into society. After spending literally every waking moment with the same 43 people, seeing a different face, be it strange; was both confusing, and invigorating. The confusion lies in the fact of the relationship you have with people after that long in a confined space. The unspoken words, and gestures that say it all now gone; I find myself tripping over thoughts and words. After a full day of interaction, I now am finding it easier. Not nearly as bad as I had expected. Also in my favor is that Christchurch is very knowledgeable about the Antarctic program and its workings. It seems as if everyone here knows about "us".
      After spending months in the dark and cold, one would assume I would be used to it, but I actually was chilly last night; chilly enough for a sweatshirt and jacket. Odd. I have been taken by the whole day-night phenomena. The sun just set and I went for a walk, essentially to nowhere. It was really nice to go for a walk without fear of freezing to death. The streets still alive and people finishing their daily routine; seemed busy for this quiet town. I managed to not walk in front of a car this time; unlike last year; being as they drive on the wrong side of the road.....or left.....well they do it different here; but I survived.
    Well, that is all for now, I will leave you with  before and after pictures from the past year. I will update all that care to read soon; tomorrow.....Thailand! Many more interesting countries and adventures as I zig-zag my way back to the States....


 
Yeah Winter!!!! Can't wait.....

 
Winter.....when does the plane get here?....can't wait...
 
Sometimes you just have to laugh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment