Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hut Point Ridge Loop....hiking another trail on the ice


This is the marker for the trail's beginning.......

Well incase you forgot what "The Hut" is from previous blogs, this is the actual beginning.....


There is not too much to say about the hike. It is about 5 miles round trip, and while a bit sketchy at points, it's overwhelmingly beautiful. It is breathtaking in more ways than one. So without further unnecessary rambling...here they are. (with a few brief interjections when needed)








This is the "Rollcage Mary", it is a poignant reminder of the dangers of Antarctica and of the fact that when it comes to accidents here, "all sales are final"





Moving onward and upward....


Most of the trail is open and an easy walk, though-be-it loose volcanic rock. However after leaving the memorial statue, I had to cross this....



I accidentally kicked a rock, and it was like a movie, a long slow roll down to the bottom. I would've taken a picture; but really just wanted to get off this precarious section. The trail moves on after this winding its way to the peak of the ridge. You can see how clearly marked it is....


Once at the top you walk the ridge line. It has some spectacular views across the sea ice.





Once you cross the ridge its back down into the valley. I actually stood here for about 10 minutes just taking in the view. It was what I imagine it would be like to stand on the moon or Mars....wonder if they need chefs there?






Truly Alone...........................Ahhhhhh its quiet here........I love it...........



I forgot to add this...yes a rock......It was on the ridge line. Just a rock, but upon closer inspection....





Turns out its the coolest rock ever!(well at least that I've seen; suppose Fraggle Rock would be cool, but I've never seen it) Sitting all alone on the ridge, getting formed by the wind; which was intense along this area.

Heading home....this is a housing for Nasa's satellite tracking dish, I will cover that in the next segment of this blog....






A kind of weird thing to see here, but I passed this on the way back....



They use explosives to close crevasses and such...don't know what such is but I'll find out and pass it on....
and onto the final stretch. Ob Hill from a different perspective.





..and back.

One more cool thing I saw in a couple of spots were these markers.




 Till next time.......







Cooking on Ice.....

















No comments:

Post a Comment